Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, July 12, 2004

Whenever someone leaves the firm, they send a Departure memo to everyone in the office, thanking people who they've worked with, providing contact information, etc. But why save them just for when you're leaving for good?

TO: All Personnel
RE: Goodbye (for the day)


I am leaving the office at 5:30 today, with great sadness, for an opportunity to spend some extended time with my family until returning tomorrow morning.

Before I leave, I would like to thank a number of people for helping to make my time in the office today pleasant and rewarding: thanks to Bob for the guidance and support, John for taking me out to lunch, Sheila for holding the elevator for me, and Herb for cleaning the office. Thanks to Joe for making sure the photocopier did not run out of paper; thanks to Lauren for all of the good times; thanks to James for helping me through the rough spot around 2:00 when I couldn't find my keys. It would be impossible for me to recall everyone I've worked with today, but I hope you all know how much I've appreciated the opportunity and chance to continue my legal career with such wonderful people.

I will miss you all, during my commute home, as well as when I get there, and I will keep you all in mind until I return.

Please stay in touch. You can reach me by e-mail, although probably not until after 7:00; of course my cell phone will be with me at all times. I hope to remain in contact with all of you; you are my lighthouse in the storm.

I regret not having the chance to contribute more to the team during my time here today; if only I had taken ten more minutes to read the document this morning; if only I hadn't missed the light coming back from lunch -- the regrets are virtually endless. But I will treasure the time I spent -- in my office, in the lobby, in the bathroom, and the many other paths I've crossed from this morning until now.

At the risk of leaving out something I will regret, I want to bring this note to an end with a wish that every job could be as fulfilling as mine has been, today, and share with you the feeling that my heart beats more strongly and my soul shines brighter because of these 8 hours we've spent together.

Do not hesitate to let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you, at least until the morning. Also note that I will be unavailable this evening between 7 and 7:20 due to an appointment for a haircut. Callers during that time will be able to leave a voice mail, and I will return those messages as soon as I am able. This brief vacation from electronic communication will allow my spirits to rejuvenate before taking on the next set of challenges that my life has to offer.

Cheers, and Best Wishes,
Jeremy