Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Thursday, August 22, 2002

Need to start packing. I'm hoping by now (after four years of college and a year and a half of my own apartment) I've figured out what I really do and don't need. I hate the feeling at the end of the year when you start packing things up to take home and realize that you didn't use half of the things you had. In that spirit, here's a list of 15 things my mom would want me to bring with me but I know I won't use them.

Top Fifteen Things My Mom Thinks I'll Need At Harvard But I Really Won't
(can't I come up with a shorter way of saying that?)

15. Paper towel holder
14. Three pairs of identical blue pants
13. Coasters
12. Extra extension cords
11. Pillow sham
10. Soap dish
9. Industrial-size box of dryer sheets (because one is never enough...)
8. Dust ruffle
7. Ugly green shirt I never wear
6. Boots (for the blizzard...)
5. Spare toothbrush
4. Something made of glass that is destined to one day break into tiny pieces
3. Extra vacuum bags to go with the vacuum I'm not taking
2. Industrial-size jar of peanut butter
1. The kitchen sink (yeah, I guess I could do better...)

And, because I can't resist, here's a companion top 10 list for your reading pleasure...

Top Ten Things The Most Competitive Law Student at Harvard Will Bring to School

10. His first-year casebooks, all of which he's already read
9. Bag of banana peels (for strategic placement outside exam rooms)
8. Pens with invisible ink, for generous lending to classmates
7. Master key to the library
6. Box of laxatives, for spiking the punch at law school parties the night before finals
5. Paper shredder
4. Complete set of audio tapes: "First Year of Harvard Law School for Dummies"
3. Those glasses they sell on late-night infomercials that have mirrors in them so you can see behind you
2. Semi-automatic weapon
1. His father's checkbook, and the home addresses of all of his professors