Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Ideas are starting for my next column. Here's what I've got so far --

Before coming here, people kept telling me that law school was like high school – with lockers, required subjects, and classes with the same set of people. But after Field Day last weekend, I think high school may have been pushing it. Law school is really fifth grade.

My school had a Field Day in fifth grade. It was pretty much like this one. Except for the eight kegs. And the section subciting competition. (Kidding.) But I think that may have been the last time I played dodgeball. And I haven’t gotten any better at it than I was then.

In fifth grade, I remember there was an obsession with being one of the “cool kids.” I'm not sure what being 'cool" meant in fifth grade -- I think it was still to young to be dating or anything like that, so that wasn't it. I guess it was all about not getting beat up during recess, or getting invited to the boy-girl parties. Or having someone to sit next to on the bus during field trips. Or at the lunch table. But I do remember that I wasn't one of the cool kids. I'd be willing to bet that most people here weren't. We were the smart kids. The cool kids then are the ones working at the gas station now. Or in business school.