Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Friday, November 22, 2002

More from the files of administrator stupidity. I mentioned in a post a few days ago that we have to pick electives. So there are about 30 choices on the "1L electives sheet," each with a number of slots available, and all 550 of us 1Ls have to rank our top 8 choices. We can't pick anything that conflicts with our required classes. So I went through the list, and discovered that about half the classes conflict with the required classes for my section. That's ok, no big deal. Out of curiosity, I looked to see if the other sections had it better or worse than my section. And it turns out that all of the sections have the same timeslots filled with their required classes next semester. OK. So that means that half of the courses on the "1L electives sheet" can simply not be takem by a single 1L. So the fact that there are, say 40 slots open in a class, is meaningless, because no one can choose it. So the big fuss they made that since there are 1,350 slots for 550 students, so everyone will get a top choice, is really not the case at all. Brilliant people at the registrar's office I guess.