Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Wednesday, January 22, 2003

Had my new semester classes today. Well, the two required ones (the elective starts next Wednesday, but mine only meets on Mondays and Tuesdays, so I guess it doesn't start for almost 2 more weeks. I don't understand the scheduling quirks here.), Property and Torts. They seem fine. I can't figure out how to turn the alarm off my watch (I got it for free, so how much can I complain...) -- I had set it initially during exams as a backup, for 7:30 AM, but then it woke me up one morning after exams, so I changed it to 12:00 figuring I wouldn't care if it went off every day at noon. And I forgot about it. Until noon today, when I was sitting in class. It starts beeping. I immediately fumble around and press every button as fast as I can, simultaneously shutting off the beeping, starting the stopwatch, and resetting the seconds counter. Five minutes later it starts beeping again. I think I jumped. Pressed the buttons again. Realized that it's going to keep going off every 5 minutes until I let it beep for the full minute. I don't know why this is. So for the rest of class -- 4 more 5-minute cycles -- I was vigilant -- VIGILANT, I tell you -- about staring at my watch and watching the second count down until that 5-minute mark, and trying to intercept the beeping by pushing the buttons immediately. It went okay I guess, except that I was freaking out in my head. It's not a particularly loud alarm, and I'm in the back row (results of the random assigned seating lottery -- back row in both of my classes), so I'm guessing the professor didn't hear it anyway. And if he did, he doesn't know who we are yet anyway. But I really need to figure out how to shut this thing off, which combination of the 4 buttons needs to be pressed so this watch makes no noise ever again. Or I need to hit it with a hammer.