Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Friday, March 14, 2003

Not only is it election season (see posts from earlier this week), it's also recruitment season for the three big upperclass activities here: Legal Aid Bureau, Board of Student Advisors, and the big one, the Harvard Law Review. Each has its own application process, its own informational meetings / wine & cheese receptions / ice cream socials / sponsored lectures, and, most important, each has its own way of filling up 20-40 hours a week that you could otherwise enjoy.

The Legal Aid Bureau, according to the five-minute presentation they made in one of my classes, requires 20 hours a week of service from each of its members, and basically helps people who can't afford legal services. This sounds like a great thing for people who really want some hands-on experience practicing law. I have no interest in this.

The Board of Student Advisors helps to run the First Year Lawyering program I've talked in glowing terms about (sarcasm). But, seriously, I think it might be cool to get some experience teaching legal writing, and be a great way to spend 20 hours a week. Plus, they pay some money. The application process includes an edit of a deliberately-awful legal brief, some essays, a recommendation, and an interview.

The Harvard Law Review sucks approximately 40 hours a week out of the lives of its members, and has a rigorous application process involvingchecking some footnotes and writing an article about a Supreme Court case, all in a week's time after exams in the spring. They then use a complicated algorithm involving the scores on these two things, your grades, and some factor added if you're a woman or minority, to determine who gets to write "Harvard Law Review" on their resumes. The resume-builder in me wants to apply, just to see if I would get in. The sane person in me wants not to. We'll see who wins the battle. I have a few more months to decide.