Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Another 1L, at the University of Chicago, posted a comment about my criticism of the public interest auction from a few days back. (You'll have to scroll a bit on his blog -- it's his bottommost entry on the 13th) He doesn't think buying access to professors is such a big deal:

"First, exams in all the 1L classes, and in most other large classes, are graded anonymously.... Second, professors are already so accessible here, it doesn't seem like one would need this method of access. I think the novelty of the auction isn't so much the opportunity to see professors outside of class; it's the opportunity to see them while riding a ferris wheel or tasting various scotches. Which just doesn't seem to me to be that big a deal."

And, actually, he's probably right. It's not that big of a deal. I don't genuinely believe that it affects grades at all. Or that professors aren't otherwise accessible. It's not earth-shattering, I'm not calling the ABA to take away Harvard's accreditation, but it's just gray enough that I felt compelled to write about it. And that I felt compelled to think about it. Does it really matter? Not so much. Does it make me a little uncomfortable? Yeah.

Another 1L, late Monday night, also poses the question to fellow 1Ls, "Are you having fun? Do you like it?" I hope it comes in my writing here that, personally, yeah, I do. Better than I ever expected. Of course, most of that is because of extracurriculars that aren't so much related to the law (plus the T1 Internet connection... kidding?), but still, classes are sometimes cool too.