Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Friday, April 11, 2003

I think Monday April 7th's post on Janeway Speaks, another weblog of a 1L somewhere, illustrates some point I was making a few weeks ago. She writes about having been in law school for two semesters and just now joining her first non-law-related activity. And that even though her classmates think that's weird, she thinks it's okay.

Well, of course it's okay! I can't for the life of me figure out why it's such a big deal. Why people think it's odd for a law student to be involved in activities that may not be directly related to the law. We're smart people, we have other interests. Yet, on this campus, I know lots of people who don't do very much at all outside of class. I heard one person comment, upon seeing someone else putting up flyers for some event or another, "what are all these activities people do where they have to put up flyers? I don't do anything." So do something. Nobody's stopping you.

I don't know what my point is other than to say that people not taking advantage of the multitude of activities there are to do are only decreasing the competition for the rest of us and robbing themselves of something to do besides watch TV and read casebooks.