Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, May 05, 2003

Thanks to this weblog of a soon-to-be-1L for linking to my post about the career services meeting last week. His weblog's actually got an awfully helpful list of hints for writing resumes and cover letters. I've had to read a bunch of resumes in the past as well, and he's right on pretty much all counts. Follow directions, make things easy for the person reading it, show you care... easy stuff... probably works for law school exams too, actually. Follow directions, make things easy for the professor, show you care... maybe I'll try and follow that advice when exams begin... in just 11 days.

And a new feature I'll introduce today, as I begin my studying... Things that have distracted me from studying today: the stress-ball and highlighter giveaway in the student center, buying a new container of milk, reloading my stapler, counting how many clean socks I have left so I can figure out when I need to do laundry next, reading a chapter of the baseball book I bought off Amazon last week (just in time to distract me from studying), Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups, watching C-SPAN's streaming video of the Democratic Presidential Candidate Debate from this past weekend (more on that below), and seeing how many times I can tear a Post-It flag in half before the pieces get too small.

More on the Democratic Presidential Debate: 9 candidates. It makes it look like a student council election when there are more people on stage than in the audience. Let's see if I can name all 9 off the top of my head: Dennis Kucinich, Bob Graham, John Kerry, Joe Lieberman, Richard Gephardt, John Edwards, Al Sharpton, Carol Moseley Braun, and Howard Dean. Or, in other words, Grumpy, Sleepy, Wealthy, Moral, Boring, Youthful, Crazy, Irrelevant, and Doc. That entire joke was driven by the fact that Howard Dean is a doctor, and I thought that could be funny. My thoughts on each of the 9, not that anyone cares:

Dennis Kucinich -- I really hadn't heard of him before watching the debate. Apparently he was mayor of Cleveland, and under his watch, Cleveland went bankrupt. His favorite line was "take the profit out of health care," which sounds to me like socialized medicine, and I'm not sure that works so well in countries where they have it. He gave me no reason to even contemplate voting for him, even for President of the local school board.

Bob Graham -- A Senator from Florida, he got totally muddled when he was asked what he would do to make sure voting problems wouldn't happen there again. Said something about it not being the federal government's job to make sure people can vote, it's the state's job. A softball question, and he got sloppy and unclear with his answer.

John Kerry -- Seems qualified. Didn't say much memorable. His favorite thing to say was that he fought in Vietnam and is the only one up there who fought in Vietnam, and that means he's brave, and bravery is something the President needs. Well, okay...

Joe Lieberman -- Best one-liner of the debate, in response to a question about electability. Something like, "I'm confident I can beat George Bush... because Al Gore and I already did it once." Funny. I like Joe Lieberman. He seems genuine, and he's moderate enough that I feel comfortable with his positions on most stuff.

Richard Gephardt -- Is really pale. The other candidates didn't like his health care reform package. I didn't pay close enough attention to know why.

John Edwards -- Seems younger than he is. I don't really have anything objections to him, but he didn't say anything I remember.

Al Sharpton -- A Sharpton-Lieberman ticket would lose to the Natural Law Party. Al Sharpton is entertaining to watch, and is probably as qualified to be President as Dennis Kucinich. I'm not sure if his comment about making the right to vote and the right to health care part of our Constitution was an actual campaign platform, or just a spur-of-the-moment sounds-like-a-good-idea.

Carol Moseley Braun -- I read an article somewhere that she removed the hyphen from her last name to make it easier for voters. Is this what our country has come to? Apparently she was most recently Ambassador to some country that we're not at war with -- I can't remember, but I think she said New Zealand. In any event, I recall thinking, "wow, that's not a job they give to people who are going to be President one day." She also said she wants to focus on creating more spirituality in this country, or something to that effect. My own personal biases, obviously, but I don't feel completely comfortable when anyone besides Lieberman says stuff like that, and can completely understand why lots of people wouldn't like Lieberman saying that either.

Howard Dean -- Is against the war, is a doctor, and needed to rehearse his closing statement more, because his eyes were darting back and forth between the paper in front of him and the camera every three seconds or so, and it was pretty distracting. He claimed to be more liberal than the other candidates. His answers didn't really distinguish him though.