Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Wednesday, July 09, 2003

I went to the Mets game with some friends last night, one of whom said he'd read my weblog more if I mentioned him in it. Hi Eric. Anyway, the guy who sang the national anthem was James Earl Jones. But he didn't actually sing it. It was more like he dramatically spoke it. "Oh, say. Can you see. By the dawn's. Early light." The first hint that trouble was coming was when he said "...whose broad stars and bright stripes." But not too many people picked up on that. He got to "O'er the ramparts. We watched." And then he stopped. And on the big screen you could see him look down. At a very visible sheet of paper. But he couldn't find his place. So he paused. And searched. And searched. And searched. And then, after what was probably a solid four or five seconds, he continued. "Were so gallantly streaming." One fan began to boo. Perhaps that was uncalled for. But I couldn't help but laugh. I don't know if there's a broader point here, perhaps about how Americans ought to know the national anthem (eh, not really -- I don't think I really believe that's necessary), but more importantly, how people who are going to stand in front of a crowd of 29,000 (that's the paid attendance; actual attendance probably more like 500. These are, after all, the Mets) and recite the national anthem really ought to make sure they've got it memorized. And over at CNN studios, I can just picture Take 1 on the promo recording. "This is C-N...Z?" "Sorry, James. Why don't we try that again."

Is this related to law school? Not unless the Mets sue him for non-performance. But if they weren't paying him, and if no one left the stadium because of it (it's the Mets' play that makes the fans leave, not the national anthem), I don't know what kinds of damages they could claim... aw, too much law here. This is what happens when you go to law school (or at least when you try and write about it). You see the legal issues in everything, even when you don't need to. Can't we just enjoy seeing celebrities make mistakes without worrying about the legal implications? Kobe Bryant's lawyer agrees with me on that point, I bet.