Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Saturday, July 19, 2003

I'm pretty sure I've covered this ground before, but not for a while. Probably the hardest thing about the two years I worked before going to law school was that being on my own, being in a new city, having a job and an apartment -- it all meant I had to really make a life for myself. And I realized that without doing anything pro-active, it's easy to end up going to work, coming home, going to sleep, repeat, sleep and run errands on the weekends, and not really have much of a life. It's on your own shoulders to make plans, find activities, make friends, do things -- in a way that it's not at school. Because at school you have classes and extracurriculars, and friends, and things to read and write and study, and purpose and meaning, and all that jazz...

And so I hate thinking that one of the reasons I'm in law school is because I like going to school, and because I like the lifestyle of being a student, and that I find all of this easier than making a life for myself. Because thinking it kind of makes me feel like I'm just postponing the inevitable, or that I'm wasting time and money...

But if it's not one of the reasons I'm in school, it's at least one of the side benefits.