Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Sunday, August 31, 2003

I saw the movie "Thirteen" this evening, which, in case you haven't heard of it, is about a nice girl who turns bad under the influence of "the popular girl" at school, and starts using drugs, piercing herself, and dressing like a hooker. I closed my eyes during the piercings. I don't handle blood well.

In all, I thought the movie was profoundly disturbing, but not, unfortunately, disturbingly profound. I would have preferred to see "The Battle of Shaker Heights," because I like my movies light and fluffy, but I was outvoted.

The acting in "Thirteen" is quite good. The characters were really convincing. Which I suppose made it all the more disturbing, and I can't really say it's a *bad* movie. It's just unpleasant to watch. So, if you've had a good day, and want to watch something unpleasant to ruin all that before you go to sleep, I recommend "Thirteen." Also if you are a parent of a teenage girl and want all sorts of stuff to become paranoid about, I highly recommend -- I imagine this movie will do the trick. If you are usually depressed, but find yourself happy for some reason, this movie should help restore a state of normalcy in you. If you'd always wanted to watch someone's tongue get pierced on screen, but haven't found the right movie yet, this one is for you. If you prefer your movies to be the opposite of "heartwarming," check this one out. If you are a fan of seeing teenage girls dressed like hookers, again, this may be your kind of movie. If you left "Seabiscuit" wishing Tobey Maguire was really a thirteen-year-old girl, and instead of riding horses his passion was smoking crack, then, once more, this is the movie for you. If you'd rather gouge out your eyes with a fork than frolic in the woods, this is most certainly your kind of film. If you prefer to cry yourself to sleep, please see this movie.

It disturbs me to no end that I have seen 3 of the 6 movies playing in the "independent" movie theater. Because I like formulaic Hollywood crap, I really do. And definitely don't want to have to think of myself as the kind of person who sees independent movies on a regular basis. That would really mess with my head. But the saving grace is that I only liked one of them. Of course, that was Spellbound. Go see Spellbound if you haven't. I promise, promise, promise that you will like it. Spellbound. Even though talking about it makes me sound like a complete dork. Even among law students. I don't care. Go see Spellbound.

Or, if you'd rather start drinking again, go see "Thirteen."