Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Saturday, October 18, 2003

I know I'm just turning a non-issue into another post for no good reason, but Katie Biber over at Ex Parte, the HLS Federalist Society blog, responds to my response to Patrick from Ex Parte's comment about my comment re: the HLS GOP sponsoring the blood drive. She writes:

"Actually, the HLS GOP blood drive is not like the Environmental Law Society sponsoring a conference on diversity. It's like the Environmental Law Society, BLSA, the Squash Club, or the Ballroom Dancing Society adopting a family for Thanksgiving or volunteering at a soup kitchen. What creates the ridiculous impression that conservatives don't "have a lot to do with" community service? ... I am frustrated when other people consistently express surprise at the generosity and community spirit shown by our campus conservative and libertarian groups."

I think Katie is great, and, like I said, this is really a non-issue I'm writing about for lack of anything else to say -- but I don't know that I see her smaller point (I'll get to her larger point in a moment). I don't see her examples -- The Squash Club volunteering at a soup kitchen, or the Ballroom Dancing Society adopting a family for Thanksgiving -- as substantially different from my example of the Environmental Law Society sponsoring a conference on diversity. If people wanted to volunteer at a soup kitchen, they wouldn't join the squash club to do it. Not that there's anything wrong with these organizations doing whatever they want to do -- which is why it's a non-issue. It's fine that the GOP sponsored a blood drive. I just thought it was funny. And (here's the larger point) it's not I think conservatives are anti-community service or generosity. Heck, if anything, the conservative social solution -- people (and private charities) helping people -- fits that model more than the liberal social solution -- government helping people. Gross generalizations, I know. But I say it to show I don't at all think that being a conservative makes someone less inclined to have community spirit. I just didn't realize that the collection of blood was on the conservative agenda. It's not a political position -- I think we all support the concept of blood drives, regardless of political affiliation. Hence it surprised me to see a politically-aligned group sponsoring it. That's all I meant. Really.