Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Thursday, October 16, 2003

I'm done with my on-campus interviews. Time to launder my dress shirt. Kidding. Well, sort of. If there's one good thing about interviews, it's that I now have a "lucky interview tie," a "lucky interview shirt," and "lucky interview socks." Unfortunately, they're the same as my "unlucky interview tie," "unlucky interview shirt," and "unlucky interview socks." Given that each interview is only 20 minutes long, and I change into and out of my suit and dress shirt and shoes and all that stuff pretty closely before and after each interview (finally making use of my locker!), I've probably worn the stuff for only about the equivalent of a day or two in the whole three-week process. This, in my mind, more than justifies that I've only washed the shirt twice, and tried to alternate two pairs of socks, handwashing them in the sink on their "off days." And one pair of boxers. No, I'm kidding on that last one. Really, I swear. Of course ties hold up pretty well -- and once I found that one was working, I didn't bother alternating. Today I forgot my "interview watch" for the first time though. My "expensive" $60 metal Swatch (I save it for "special" occasions) instead of the free (literally, it was free) watch I got when I bought a polo shirt a few years ago (not actually a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt of course -- again, too expensive for me and my $6 "dress" belt).

I learned something today that completely hadn't crossed my mind at all -- first some background: people with multiple callback offers usually choose one firm through which to book their travel arrangements, and then that firm gets reimbursed from the other firms. So each firm has a hotel it tends to book people in, I guess. So some people with more than one callback apparently try to find out the hotels each firm uses and they pick which firm to book through based on the hotel. Which I guess makes sense. But completely hadn't crossed my mind at all. Not that it really matters all that much -- no firm is putting people up in a shack on the side of the highway. At least I don't think so. Maybe the firms that aren't Vault top-50. I'm kidding. I don't know what the Vault rankings mean, by the way. I see no methodology, no explanation -- and all the firm descriptions read like our course guide -- this firm is "laid-back" but "intense," "nice people" who "scream a lot," "interesting" work that is sometimes "boring," "nice food" if you like "bad food," "no weekends," except "on Saturdays and Sundays."