Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, October 27, 2003

This post is an exaggeration, and refers to just a small sample of the places I've visited. I'm not intending to generalize, just to note a specific kind of thing that's out there. "I used to have friends, but since I started working here, it's hard to find time, and so I don't really anymore." That's not verbatim at all. But sentiments like that -- I don't think it's a real effective recruiting line for a lawyer to say when he's interviewing someone. These mostly aren't things I've actually heard -- I'm trying to exaggerate for effect here -- but these would be equally ineffective lines. If you're interviewing people, you might want to avoid them:

>"I've only pulled 5 or 6 all-nighters... in the past week."
>"I don't understand work-life balance. Work *is* life. Isn't that enough?"
>"Sure, I don't know how many kids I have. But at least I'm filthy rich."
>"I know my secretary's name. Oh wait, no I don't."
>"I know my wife's name. Oh wait, that was the third wife. What am I on now, six, seven?"
>"You have interests on your resume. You're not planning on doing those things while working here, are you?"
>"You can leave and have dinner with friends. As long as you come back afterwards."
>"I work part-time. 5 days a week, 9 AM - 7 PM. A reduced schedule."
>"We have Broadway tickets. No one's ever been able to get out of work in time to go."
>"Everyone I know who's a lawyer is sad. Here, you'll be no sadder than anywhere else."