Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Thursday, November 27, 2003

Here's a NY Times article giving thanks for all sorts of technology: Google, wireless hotspots, digital photography. It got me thinking (just a little bit) about the technology I'm thankful for. I posted over at En Banc my list, shorter, less modern, and less interesting than the author's:

1. The ability to save and correct documents in word processing programs, as opposed to what they did when typewriters were the only technology we had.

2. E-mail.

3. Cell phones.

And then I said that there'd be no reason to use this technology (esp. #2 and #3) if there weren't people on the receiving end. So, more than anything, I'm thankful for the people that are in my life.

Just relevant to this weblog thing, I'm thankful for the handful of people I've met "in real life" because of this, and the others I've exchanged e-mails with. I'm thankful that enough people have found my words interesting that it's kept me motivated to keep on writing them. I'm thankful that I haven't written anything that's gotten me any death threats.

I'm thankful that even though at times I've joked that law school can strip people of their humanity, it really doesn't, and there have been lots of great people I've met here and become friends with. And I'm thankful that perhaps by posting reams of my thoughts on the Internet every day, I've made it more possible not to lose touch with the people I know who aren't here, and I don't see every day. And I'm thankful that it's very hard to come up with a reason why grades matter, because I really don't know what the difference between rational basis and strict scrutiny is, and surely that's a key to success on my Con Law exam in two weeks.

I'm thankful that nothing in my life has led me to believe that this isn't a world filled with interesting, good, and fundamentally decent people. I'm thankful for the health of my friends and family. I'm thankful that I never changed the address on my cell phone bill and so my mom just seems to end up paying it every month. I'm thankful that the strange noise the heat makes in my apartment doesn't keep me up at night. I'm thankful that I get to eat food today that (a) wasn't made in a cafeteria, and (b) won't cost me anything.

Happy Thanksgiving.