Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, November 24, 2003

Some useless advice for 1Ls about studying for exams that sounds a lot like most of the advice people gave me last year.

1. Make sure you absolutely read every case over again, because cases really won't be very important on the exam; it's the concepts that count, except sometimes.

2. It's crucial to talk about policy except when the question doesn't ask about it.

3. Most people I know just crammed for the few nights before each exam, except for the people who methodically paced themselves over a few weeks. One group did better than the other but I forget which.

4. The right study guide can be a godsend, but the wrong one can lead to disaster.

5. Using other people's notes to check your own is helpful if the other person happens to take better notes than you do; otherwise it can just throw you off. The way to tell if someone's notes are better than yours is to wait until after the exam and see who did better.

6. The key is to get into the professor's head, but not too much because that might be a trap.

7. Some professors give you credit for everything you write down so you shouldn't worry if you have something wrong; other professors will take credit away if there's wrong stuff so you should be careful.

8. My favorite exams are the ones with word limits -- I mean the ones without. I think. No, I don't remember.

9. None of it matters anyway, because the exams are so hard that only the students who study effectively are going to do well, and so what's the point unless someone gives you some solid advice, which is really easy to get but not from me.

10. Some professors repeat exams they've used before. Most don't.