Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Saturday, December 06, 2003

I've switched over from studying Constitutional Law yesterday to studying Bankruptcy today. Or at least to pretending to study while I stare out the window and watch the snow fall. Snow. Ooh. Mesmerizing. Bankruptcy, impossible as it may be to believe, is very hard to make fun of while still making sense to people who aren't taking bankruptcy (there's only so many times I can use the word 'discharge'). I'm trying. I'll come up with something. Eventually.

In the meantime, now that I've finished classes for the semester, I have a small complaint. Professors, at least a substantial number of them, seem averse to wrapping up the course with any sort of summary, any wise words to put all the pieces together, any overarching thoughts about the 12 weeks of material we've just slogged through and what it all means. That bothers me a little bit. I realize it's probably largely a function of time -- that there's so much material they have to squeeze in that they can't leave any time at the end for any sort of summing up -- but surely we could have lived without that forty-minute discussion from the third week of Constitutional about why it's illegal to wrap someone in an American flag and light them on fire when it's not illegal to wrap someone in an American flag, and it's not illegal to light an American flag on fire. Surely. So instead of a half hour of wisdom from these professors in these subject areas they all know an awful lot about or else they wouldn't be teaching them, they all end class with some variation on:

"And that's just another case in the line of cases that brought us to that point in the doctrine that you read about last night in the casebook, and, oh, look at the time, I guess that's it for the semester. Bye!"

It's not too much to ask, is it?

Or maybe that's what the exam is for. To see if we can sum it up ourselves. Hmmm. Oh well.