Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Friday, January 30, 2004

As if I wasn't distracted enough... I ordered the "Ben Stiller Show" DVD off Amazon the other day, along with The West Wing Seasons 3 & 4 Shooting Scripts book (my mom got me an Amazon gift certificate for Hanukkah and I figured I may as well start spending it before Amazon starts selling exam answers and I feel tempted)... props to their "Super Saver Shipping" -- shipping was free since the order was more than $25, they said it would take 5-9 business days to get here... it took ONE DAY. ONE DAY. Props to Amazon. Anyway, my DVD collection now numbers 2. I have Mr. Show Seasons 1 & 2 (which I've watched about 1/10th of) and now I have Ben Stiller, as I strive to build the world's largest collection of DVDs starring Bob Odenkirk. (Alternative sentence fragment: "...as I strive to build the world's largest collection of DVDs of cancelled sketch comedy shows") So, I just watched the Ben Stiller pilot, and then the Ben Stiller pilot with commentary. I think I watched it when it was on for real and I was 13 years old, but I'm not totally sure. Anyway, it was funny, and the commentary was cool. I like DVD commentary. The producer of the show, Judd Apatow, was on the commentary track. He was producing this at age 24, he said, basically because he met Ben Stiller while they were waiting on line for Elvis Costello tickets. I get discouraged when I hear things like, "yes, I became able to do for a living what I most loved doing because I accidentally tripped and fell into Lorne Michaels' lap one day in Des Moines." Frustrating. Judd Apatow went on to write cool TV shows like Freaks and Geeks, if I'm not mistaken. The other guy who did Freaks and Geeks, Paul Feig, wrote a really funny book I read about a month ago on an airplane. What is the point of this post? I don't know. The West Wing is so well-written. Best cancelled sketch comedy show I remember from my childhood (I feel so old saying that) that I would buy if it was on DVD: The Dana Carvey Show. Maybe I just thought it was funny because I was a wee tot, but I recall being awfully upset it got cancelled. I wish they put that on DVD. Even with no commentary track I would buy it. Because it wouldn't cost me any money. Because I still have the rest of the gift certificate. See, it all loops back into a nice neat circle. I promise a better post soon.