Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Saturday, January 10, 2004

I was hanging out with one of my friends while he was having a text-message conversation over his cell phone. What a horribly inefficient way of communicating. 2-2-2-2-2-2-2 3-3-3 7-7-7-7-7-7-7 4 6-6-6-6-6. Oh, hello to you too. Fifteen minutes to ask someone what the weather's like. Ten things that text messaging would be especially lousy for:

10. "No, he said it with sarcasm... like this... but with sarcasm... can you picture it?"
9. "The comet -- it's passing right... now! I mean... now! Aw, you missed it... now! Now!"
8. "My favorite song's on the radio! I'll text you the lyrics... I love Eminem..."
7. "Yeah, there were about a hundred people there... yeah, let me tell you all their names..."
6. "So thenMcGrady passed it to Ewing, and Ewing passed it back to Nowitzki, and then, with ten seconds to go..."
5. "I'll take the Kung Pao Chicken... no garlic... with an order of dumplings... no, I want brown rice instead of fried rice."
4. "OK, so those were the multiple choice answers... now here's the essay..."
3. "Yeah, yeah, let me give you the whole shopping list..."
2. "Here's the URL: http, colon, two dashes, w-w-w-dot..."
1. "There's a fire in my building. The room is filling up with smoke. I can't get out. Please send a fire truck. Here is the address..."