Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

The library's online catalog is telling me I didn't return a book that I returned. I'm sure I returned it. So at some point today (since I've renewed the book the maximum amount of times just hoping they'd find it and erase it and I wouldn't have to bother) I'm going to see if they think I'm lying or not when I tell them I returned the book. I'll actually sort of be disappointed (from a theoretical perspective, not really actually disappointed) if this is very easy and they just erase it off the record, because that means people can just steal books whenever they want and then tell the library they returned them. But I really didn't steal this book. I mean, it was for a journal article I was footnote-checking. It's about environmental regulation. Why would I want this book? Why would anyone want this book? If it was the 18th century papers of President Washington, then, sure, maybe I'd want to steal the book and sell it on E-Bay. But this book is relatively modern, surely worthless in monetary value even if not worthless in scholarly value. Although even in scholarly value I have my doubts. I actually remember returning it. I have a very detailed story I can tell them about taking it out of my room, bringing it to the library, and putting it in the drop slot. That's actually about as detailed as the story gets. It was a little paperback book, so even if they don't believe me and they make me pay for it I can just chalk it up to balancing the bonus I got in Tax class because we're using a book that hasn't been published yet and so we got it for free and didn't have to buy a $90 casebook. So it's not like I'll really be upset if they don't believe me. But I returned the book. They must have scanned it back in wrong. Which, I guess, means maybe it's on the shelf and I should go look for it, and then I can just return it again. Hmm. Maybe I'll try that. I doubt it'll be there. If I had a bar code printing machine I could do all sorts of deceptive stuff with library books. I suppose there's been some sort of bar code cheating scandal somewhere in the world at some time. Who knows. Hopefully something more interesting will happen to me today so that I can do better than a story about a library book that I returned.