Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, March 01, 2004

At some point today, my counter will probably reach 100,000. [UPDATE 1:38 PM: I've reached 100,000. Awesome.] That's pretty darn cool. When I started this a little over 18 months ago, I had no idea whether I'd keep it going for a day, a week, a month, or forever. I certainly didn't expect to build an audience much beyond people who knew me in person, and I am humbled that a multi-digit number of people pass by each day to read the words I write. When I started this, I did it mostly just to force myself to write something every day. I wasn't sure if it would work. It seems to be working. :) Knowing there are people out there who like what I'm doing and keep coming back is awfully motivating. Certainly the e-mails I've received, the people I've corresponded with, the handful of real friends I've made -- it's all made this more than worth it, many times over.

So. I have a small favor to ask. And you're allowed to say no, but I feel like 100,000 is a big enough milestone that I can at least ask. It involves no money. If you like something you read here, tell someone about it. If you really like it, tell two people. If you really really like it, tell that guy you know who works for that magazine, or that girl who works for that literary agency, or Jon Stewart's personal assistant.

Being in law school is great. The classes are interesting, the professors are great, it's a whole lot of fun, I've met some awesome people. Anyone who reads consistently probably would guess that fifteen years down the line, the real dream isn't necessarily to be a law firm partner. That's not to say it's a bad road to go down, and it's not to say that after a summer at a law firm, it won't become the dream. But a writing gig, even a writing gig on the side, would be awfully cool.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You can keep on reading even if you keep me a secret. Free riding is welcome and encouraged and expected and awesome. Thanks for 100,000. Now I'd better post something funny before you go away.