Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Saturday, March 27, 2004

The blog myoclonic has a list of the most overused phrases in law school. His/her picks include "with all due respect," "reasonably foreseeable," "reification," and then a bunch of phrases I've never ever ever heard, like "lacuna in the law" (???) and "disjunctive element" (?). I like the idea, so I'm going to steal it.

Jeremy's Most Overused Law School Phrases

-- Objective manifestation of subjective intent
-- Excuse me, I think you're sitting in my seat.
-- Three-pronged test
-- Well, I happen to think...
-- Strict scrutiny
-- Why is attendance so low today?
-- According to the dissent...
-- Will this be on the exam?
-- Rules versus standards
-- Is that a highlighter in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
-- Known or should have known
-- I think that's Bluebook rule 14.5
-- The time-value of money
-- I'm sorry, I just had some cafeteria food and need to go vomit.
-- Administrability
-- According to my student loan officer...
-- Promotes the alienability of property
-- Could you call on someone else? I didn't get a chance to do the reading.
-- One hundred percent of students received job offers last year
-- No, I'm sorry, that's incorrect
-- This meeting will be mandatory
-- Here's another hypothetical...
-- Please stop playing solitaire in class
-- Okay, let's take a ten-minute break and when we come back we'll move on to the next case.