Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Thursday, March 18, 2004

In my fake Guide to LLM Life -- scroll down here-- I said, in jest, that "Harvard" was the Indian word for "Land of the Brilliant But Modest." I'm inspired to turn that into a whole song. This one ain't no parody song, but e-mail me if you want the mp3. I don't know if this works or is just throwaway.

"Land of the Brilliant But Modest"

They're reading books
In the cover of darkness
Solving equations
In the black of the night
Submitting papers
Under names that have been falsified
Saving the world
But hiding out

It's the land (land, land) of the brilliant but modest
Where the credit's shared, and no one wants fame
It's the land (land, land) where they're all deferential
And no one cares if you know his name

The trophy sits
But there is no engraving
Reporters come
But no one will talk
You ask for help
And there's a line of willing geniuses
You slip and fall
They pick you up

It's the land (land, land) of the brilliant but modest
Where the world gets changed, and that's all you want
It's the land (land, land) where you don't need the credit
It's in your heart; no reason to flaunt

Though it'll go into history
You're okay if your name is a mystery
Though what you're doing is stunning work
You're more than just a cunning jerk
Who wants his name in the news

It's the land (land, land) of the brilliant but modest
Where the world says thanks, and that's all you ask
It's the land (land, land) can somebody point me
You, yeah you, the one in the mask.