Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, March 15, 2004

There's an organization here called the "Student Funding Board" -- basically, they decide how to allocate the school's money toward extracurricular activities, based on budgets presented and presentations made. Besides just really enjoying the power that I suppose comes with managing the six-figure budget and controlling the fate of your fellow students, I can't imagine why anyone would have interest in being on this board. If you're on the board, you can't be on the board of any organizations they fund -- meaning that basically you're distributing money to organizations you're not in. I don't personally care whether the Committee on Sports and Entertainment Law gets $5000 or $7500 next year, and I can't see why there are people who care enough to be on a board that decides it, and read proposals and hear presentations and study budgets... heck, even for the organizations I'm involved in I'm not sure I really care how much money we get. Whatever you give us we'll spend it, but it's not like my quality of life will change based on whether the a cappella group gets $500 or $1000. This whole thing just seems silly -- yes, I guess they need to actually have a process to decide how the money gets allocated; and, yes, I guess it's better for students to do it than administrators (although I'm not really sure why -- I haven't thought through this point), but who are these students who are so motivated to devote their time and energy to doing this? And why??