Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, March 22, 2004

This week, we have Class Marshal elections. Class Marshals are the people who "plan" the 3L year -- they organize social activities, find a graduation speaker, make sure we get our caps and gowns... I'm not really sure exactly, but stuff like that... stuff I can't really imagine anyone enjoys doing, but, for whatever reason, people want to do it. So they run, and we vote for them. The past few days I've gotten a bunch of e-mails that look sort of like this:

Dear Friends, Acquaintances, and Others in the Facebook,

I am writing first to encourage you to vote in this week's elections for Class Marshal, which may also be spelled Marshall, but I am neither certain nor consistent in my knowledge on this ground. Second, I am writing to say that if you do vote in the Class Marshall elections, please vote for ME! Through these past two years in dreary Cambridge, you and I have gotten to know each other through our time spent in rewarding extracurricular pursuits and/or late-night conversations in the dorms and/or in the enriching classroom experiences we have shared and/or nodding an acknowledgement of recognition to each other around campus and the surrounding community when our paths happen to cross and/or none of the above. You have seen me to be an extraordinary motivator of people and/or highly organized and/or just crazy enough to embrace a position which involves spending my third year of law school planning events for others to enjoy and/or none of the above. I'm not completely sure whether it will really make a difference in your lives who become the Classs Marsshallls, or why it will make a difference in my own life if I win, but I ask that when you fill out that ballot and/or vote online and/or both, you remember the good times we may or may not have shared, and the qualities you may or may not think I will bring to the position, and you vote for ME! I also hope you enjoy receiving this e-mail from not only ME! but from every single acquaintance we share in common, sometimes twice.

Thanks,
Your Bestest Friend and/or Someone You Barely Know