Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

I need a very brief bit of very non-serious advice, by 3:00 this afternoon. In this week's law school newspaper, should I run "Wexis Training" (see directly below) or "A Job Advice Session for the Soul-less" (scroll down just a bit for Monday)? (Both very shortly below) My worry with "Job Advice" is that it's kind of angry, and people could take it the wrong way. My worry with "Wexis" is that it's not as good. I'm not going to promise to take whatever advice this poll yields, but it may help. So if you're so inclined.... This also gives me an opportunity to try something I've been thinking about for a while -- an online poll. So go here to take my one-question, completely anonymous, three-second, multiple choice survey, if you want. If there's something un-fun about Zoomerang, let me know so I don't use it again.

UPDATE: It's now 3:15, and I'm heading over shortly to the newspaper to place my column. The Zoomerang poll was 26-16, so there was a clear winner, but not overwhelmingly so. Which at least makes me feel like neither one would be *terrible* to run. Thanks to the 42 people who voted -- it's appreciated. Feel free to continue to vote, since I'm curious if the results will hold.

FURTHER UPDATE: I did a rewrite on both and combined them into one two-part column, thus removing the need for the poll at all, although it did tell me they were both decent, so that was helpful. I've made the Job Advice one slightly more palatable (for me) by replacing the bottom few paragraphs with this:

Look, maybe these really are good tips to find success in the workplace. Maybe the people who scheme and manipulate do find their way to the top. But if so, isn’t that a problem to fix and not a situation to merely accept? Perhaps ought we be working to figure out why integrity and success can’t go hand in hand, if in fact they can’t, instead of giving out revolting advice like this and encouraging everyone to make the world a more cynical and unpleasant place?

If the session was wrong, and we don’t need to sacrifice decency and integrity to have a successful career, then OCS should certainly be ashamed. But if the session was right, I think the law school should be even more ashamed, because if we’re not the people who can change the status quo, and make these places better, then who will? I believe the law school has a duty to teach us not just how to be good lawyers, but to avoid turning us into bad people in the process. I left the OCS session feeling dirty. Shameful.
The last line I'll change before it runs -- just a placeholder for now.