Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

In response to my post about career advice (below), a friend e-mailed:

Harvard's duty isn't to compel consenting adults (some of whom are good people, some of whom aren't) to be better people--this isn't kindergarten, and we don't take classes on the value of being true to yourself. Harvard meets its obligation by presenting us with a variety of theories of success (some of which you might find revolting).
I'm not sure about this one. I'd like to think Harvard, and all educational institutions, have something of a duty to better society, and I'm not sure it betters society to advise people to be jerks in order to get ahead in their careers. I don't know. And I'm not sure a couple of classes on being true to yourself, whatever that means, would be such a bad idea.