Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Thursday, April 22, 2004

Someone e-mailed me the other day asking if I had any advice as far as what to do to prepare for law school. Here was my reply, which I figured I'd post because it might be useful to other 1Ls-to-be:

I spent 2 or 3 days during the summer before law school skimming some free commercial outlines I found on the Internet about the classes I'd be taking, just to get a vague idea what I'd be learning. I found that was more than enough preparation, and actually did sort of make me familiar with some new words and ideas that came in handy to be able to follow the material right away. More than that would seem unnecessary. Honestly, I can't think of anything necessary to do to prepare for law school -- they assume you know nothing when you start, and you never know what your professors are going to emphasize and how they're going to teach the subjects anyway. Certainly any kind of pre-law class would undoubtedly be a waste of money and time. People make a big deal about study skills and that stuff, but it's not much different from college, I don't think. Anything beyond buying some highlighters and notepads would seem like more than what's necessary. Get the rest of your life in order, I guess -- and make a conscious effort in the first few weeks to have a balanced life and not spend all of your energy on law school or you'll be miserable. I don't know... it's just school... people make way too big a deal out of it. You could absolutely walk in completely cold, knowing nothing, having done nothing at all to prepare, and you'll be in no worse shape than anyone else. Really.