Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, May 31, 2004

I saw the documentary film "Super Size Me" this afternoon, about a guy who ate McDonalds food three meals a day for 30 days, and -- surprise -- he gained 25 pounds and contracted a whole bunch of health problems, like liver badness and high cholesterol. The film was undeniably entertaining, and looked a lot like Michael Moore's work, in that it was a mixture of bits -- man-on-the-street interviews, sideline investigations into school lunches, and more -- with some cartoony stuff and all sort of put together like it's trying to be entertaining and fast-paced, which is all good, I guess. It's worth seeing, although you probably won't learn a ton. But it's entertaining. What I found especially interesting was his sideline into school lunches and how they're all pretty bad, and come from boxes, and have no redeeming qualities at all. And the school lunch provider the film mentioned, Sodexho, is the company that does the Harvard Law School cafeteria, which is kind of neat. I have nothing especially profound to say. I give the movie a 7.5 out of 10, if I suddenly became the kind of person who ranked movies on a scale of 1-10. One of the people I saw the movie with made the observation afterwards that everyone was taking the escalator instead of the stairs, which was kind of funny.