Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Friday, May 14, 2004

I woke up this morning, and I can't believe I've finished two years of law school. It seems like I just started. It goes by quickly. Especially the most recent semester, because by now nothing much is new, and so you get into a routine and time just flies.

I'm contemplating a post here, and I'm not sure exactly what I want it to say. On Monday I start my summer job, which hasn't gotten much attention on here since the fall recruiting season, mostly because once they hire you, there's not that much to do until you start working there. I've already mentioned I'm in New York. So that limits the universe to about 4,000 places I could be. I have no idea if anyone at the firm I'll be at reads this already, or even knows it exists. I've got to believe someone has seen it -- if not someone at the firm, then someone in my summer class. Regardless, obviously I write as if they're reading every word. Which, and maybe this is naive, I honestly don't think changes anything, since most of the things I think about and find myself wanting to write about are riffs on reality, and on the insignificant details, not to write Ron Suskind's "The Price of Loyalty" and try to bring down an administration. Frankly, lately I don't feel I've been writing tons of things that are particularly relevant, and interesting, and thought-provoking, and insightful. Maybe I never have been, but I didn't notice it. And hopefully you've enjoyed what I've been writing regardless. I hope you have. But part of me, perhaps naively, feels like this summer gig, at least by being something new and different and interesting, will give me lots of neat new things to say, and breathe some exciting new life into this weblog thing. Two years ago, when I started this, there were not nearly as many law students with weblogs as there are now. People can find out what life is like... pretty much everywhere. But I'm not sure I've seen a ton of summer associate stories. So what I'm saying is that I want to give you something cool here. I want to be a destination. I want to offer something no one else is. So I will try. I may not succeed. But I will try. I've read a decent number of weblog posts that say people are writing for themselves. In a way I'm writing for myself. In a bigger way I'm writing for an audience. In a way, this whole thing has been an experiment to see if I can build an audience, and if I have interesting things to say. I've built a little bit of an audience. This, to me, feels like the point where I say: stick with me. Not because I'm asking you to, but because I'm going to make this worth your three minutes to read it every day. Or at least I'm going to try. I don't what the point of this whole post is. But one of the interesting things about weblogs is the potential for every three days to be a meaningful moment of some sort: it's either your birthday, your weblog's anniversary, your 1000th post, your 100000th visitor, the end of a semester, the beginning of a festival, or the demarcation of some other significant life event. And everything feels worthy of a self-reflective, 800-word creation. Ah, isn't it beautiful. I think I have some never-before-written law school advice posts churning in my head for the weekend. But on Monday I step into a law firm office for the first time not as one seeking a job, but one, uh, seeking a job? I honestly don't really know what to expect. I've heard stories, but do I really believe them? Do I really think they take us out for 2-hour lunches every day? I kind of hope they don't, since I'd hate for a good meal to become such a habit that I can't enjoy it.

If you've gotten all the way down here, you deserve some links. If you're still taking exams, or even if you're not, read Waddling Kitchen for some ideas about what to eat. He writes about food well. If you want to know my pre-law-firm conception of a good supervising attorney, see here. For a bad one, see here.