Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

I packed up my office supplies today. At some point during the summer, I made a pretty long paper clip chain. I didn't really feel like taking it apart. So I left it as a chain and put it in the office supply folder as is.

I had sushi for lunch today. It's funny that "fatty tuna" is more valued than tuna. This place had "very fatty tuna" on the menu, for $10 a piece, so I guess that's even better. It's weird, because usually you want less fat on the food, but tuna reverses the whole paradigm. Are fat tuna hard to find? Do most tuna eat a well-balanced diet and get lots of exercise? Could fishermen use more unhealthy bait -- Krispy Kremes, perhaps -- to try and lure the particularly fatty tuna to the hook, instead of using, say, vegetables, and getting stuck with the lean tuna? Is the plural of tuna just tuna?

It's also funny that miso soup has so little as far as content, yet everyone's cool with it. If I got a minestrone soup with one round piece of macaroni and a half a kernel of corn, I'd be pretty pissed. But a miso soup with a string of tofu and half a mushroom? Fine. Whatever. As long as it's a little bit cloudy.

I saw someone zone out in the elevator bank today. She was waiting for an "up" elevator (I was waiting for the "down"). One came. And went. She didn't move. Then she realized she'd zoned out and had to press the button again. Maybe she needs more sleep.

Yesterday I saw some people in a conference room having a meeting when I passed at about 10 in the morning. When I passed again at 3 in the afternoon, all of the same people were there, in the same seats. I'm glad I wasn't in that meeting, whatever it was about.

Tomorrow we have our end-of-summer reviews. I guess that's when we do/don't get our offers. I'll let you know. Friday we have an end-of-summer lunch at a restaurant. I've noticed something about these upscale New York restaurants, besides the fact that the food isn't really any more satisfying than at a downscale New York restaurant. The bigger the sign, the worse the food. The places that don't even advertise that they exist -- the ones with the recessed concrete signs with 2-inch letters -- those are the ones you want to eat in. The ones with the neon banners, the 8-foot flags, the inflatable characters ballooning into the street -- those are the ones you want to avoid.

At lunch today, one associate described another as "looking like a holocaust survivor," because he works so hard. I suppose that is better than "looking like a holocaust victim."