Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Saturday, August 07, 2004

NeoTokyoTimes posts a response to my counter-perspective on preparing for the LSAT (scroll down a few posts). Can't disagree with him here -- "I guess the moral of this story is that everyone's different. The advice I gave may well not have been useful for all people, or in fact most people.... But you know what, that's how I was able to do well at the LSAT." Totally fair. I think my post wasn't so much motivated by any thought that the LSAT is some sort of intuitive test that no one should need to study for -- I don't think I really believe that, and I think it's totally sensible to spend real time preparing for it, however works best for you, because it does affect where you end up going to law school in a pretty major way. The post was much more motivated as a reaction to the idea that studying for the LSAT somehow needs to take over one's life. And the broader point that this what happens to, I think, too many people in law school. If there's a typical law student personality type, which there may or may not be, my sense is that there are an awful lot of people whose default is to get really obsessive over stuff that they don't need to be worrying about so much. To make themselves unhappy and stressed and miserable because they feel like their reading/exams/interviews/etc are not just important (which, to varying extents, they are), but the only thing it is possible to think about while they are occurring. I'm pretty sure this must make law school -- and probably life -- less enjoyable for them, and also less enjoyable for everyone else because we have to be around them. :) That's coming out worse than I mean it. I just mean that maybe there's a fetishization of obsessiveness that maybe doesn't need to exist, and maybe would make law students and lawyers less unhappy if it went away. So I read NeoTokyo's post, and the line about not wasting any mental energy on anything but the LSAT just made me want to respond with another perspective. But it got him into a great school, so who can possibly say he did anything wrong in the process? He did good. He's right that all I really meant is that his way may not be for everyone...