Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

In my Japanese Law class today, the professor was talking about the exams that students have to take if they want to be part of the bureaucracy. It's a 3-part exam -- an IQ-test-like portion plus a general knowledge portion, then a professional knowledge test, and then an oral exam. He shared some of the general knowledge questions:

1. What is (1+i) to the twentieth power?
2. What is the weight of the air of 22.4 liters at 0 degrees celsius?
3. What was the name of Buddha's wife?

I was 0-for-3, and really only question 1 do I think I ever knew or could figure out the answer to. But this is what Civil Servants in Japan need to know. Here, I imagine the test looks very, very different.