Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, October 18, 2004

My post about last night's Sox game goes ditto for tonight, I guess.

We received an e-mail today. I read it twice. I'm not sure I understand what the big threat is here. I mean, maybe it's bad, but it sounds like nothing really bad is going on:

I would like to make you aware of a suspicious incident that occurred last week. A member of our staff received a fraudulent phone message from the Mail Room, informing her that there were packages for her to pick up. No harm resulted but the circumstances are similar to several calls Harvard staff received last year. In each case the caller was male and directed the message to the individual by name in a familiar tone of voice. Nobody that received such a call was confronted or harmed, but the pattern of calls is concerning. Harvard Police pursued each incident but without resolution; the calls just stopped until this similar event.

Be alert and cautious. It would be very unusual for the Mail Room to call for you to pick up a package. If you receive any such call from the Mail Room, print shop or other department, make sure you know who you are talking to and get a call back phone number to confirm.


UPDATE: Someone e-mailed and said the problem was -- and they didn't put this in the e-mail -- people were then coming into these people's offices, knowing they'd be out getting their "packages" and stealing their stuff. Uh, including that detail might have made the e-mail make more sense...