Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Mitch has a thoughtful post on the election aftermath. Here's the part I found most thought-provoking:

John Kerry and Bill Clinton are two of the most nakedly ambitious major politicians in post-war America. Both knew they wanted to be president since high school, and they single-mindedly pursued that objective. And both get lots of shit in the media for their fanatic thrusts for power.

I think it's great. In fact, I think it's one of the only things I like about Kerry. Think big or stay home. Six billion people on Earth live mediocre lives. Why not try to make the history books if you think you can? The President is oddly unambitious, and it makes him feel distant to me. I wish he would come out and say something like: "I want to be a great man, so I'm going to do great things for you, because it's through your approval that I become great. We'll rise together."

Interesting.