Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

I was clicking around the Harvard site looking for post inspiration, and I have found it on the PIN Administration page. We use a PIN number for stuff like renewing library books, course selection, checking grades, and other thrilling administrivia. There's a page on the site entitled "Selecting A Good Pin" --

There are a number of ways to come up with a PIN that is very hard to guess. A few of the ways include:

the license plate rule (pretend to make up a vanity license plate)
use a pass phrase (a series of three or more words)
use the first or last characters of the words in a phrase or poem
combine a few deliberately misspelled words
create nonsense "words" that sound like English words but are not
...

The PIN system can suggest PINs if you want, or you can make up your own. You should use a PIN that you can remember rather than one you have to write down. Click below if you would like a randomly-generated suggestion.


It's this last suggestion that I find most interesting: the random PIN generator. I clicked a few times, and here's the suggestions it gave me.

HairyHannnnd
174ClerkshipRejectionLetters
whatwuzurLSATscore?
HrvrdRocks
LegalEthicsHAHAHA
RUsingle?iaMalONelyraNDomwordgenERatorandwantcoMPany
)))LuvTorts(((
{PosnerLikesCheese}
IWillSue4U
I_BET_YOU_CANT_GUESS_mE
HappyChrismukkah
Stop!Clicking!On!Me422z