Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Waddling Thunder has some photos of the snow. We got a lot of it. Not enough to cancel tomorrow's exam, but that's okay. I guess.

One thing I've neglected to post about that was in the news this week was Harvard President Larry Summers's comments that women are not as good as men in math and science. I've been able to get my hands on a top-secret transcript of the rest of the speech.

"Good evening, members of the National Association for the Advancement of Women in Math and the Sciences. I was honored to be invited to speak to you this evening, and thought I would bring along the details about some new research you may not yet have heard about. It appears that women are in fact just not very good at math and science. I know this comes as a shock to all of you, since you are all quite distinguished in your fields, but it turns out you all must be men, because women and math are like oil and water or me and my ex-wife. They just don't mix. You've all taken a drastically wrong turn in your careers. You, Barbara, you should have been a factory worker. You, Janet, you should be a secretary. You, Phyllis, you should be a zookeeper. You, Susan, you should also be a secretary. You, Edna, you should be a secretary as well. Marie Curie should have been a school lunch lady. It's something we have to face. Your organization shouldn't exist, and all of you should be home ironing your husband's pants. Women just aren't much for this hard learning-type stuff. I'm sorry if I'm using words that are too big here today. I know this must be hard for you to follow. Don't be sad. We love you anyway. Thank you."