Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Friday, February 04, 2005

Apparently 1Ls got grades today.

Congratulations?

The nice thing about the curve is that even the worst grades don't really look all that much different from the best grades, and barring something completely extreme, you can pretty much claim you're in the middle of the pack no matter what you got, and you're not really lying too much.

The only people who've seen my transcript are law firms, and it's really quite possible to get a law firm job coming from here, no matter what your grades are. It's hard for me to really, truly internalize this, but, for most things we might want to do in the world, it just doesn't matter. I like doing well. It feels better than doing badly. But beyond that split-second of "ooh, I faked the professor into thinking I knew this stuff," or, "oh, I guess maybe I didn't know this stuff as well as I thought I did," it doesn't have to be that big a deal.

So you get grades for the first time, you realize you're not going to fail out, and life hasn't changed. It's not until the law review competition that things really take on a life-or-death result. I'm kidding about that. Please don't think I'm serious.

Man, this post pretty much sucks. Sorry about that. I'll try to be funnier later.