Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

A couple of weeks ago, someone e-mailed asking me to post some information about a legal writing contest, and I flagged the e-mail and forgot. But the deadline isn't until May 31, so I don't feel too bad about being 2 weeks delayed on this. I hate feeling like I'm being used as free advertising space, but this seems like someone really could find this valuable, so here goes. I have no idea what they're actually talking about, so please don't ask me any questions about it.

Pacific Legal Foundation is awarding $9,500 in its Sixth Annual Program for Judicial Awareness Writing Competition. This year's competition includes three essay questions, regarding the applicability of the Supreme Court's "rough proportionality" takings standard; whether the GDF Realty Investments v. Norton decision can be reconciled with the Court's modern Commerce Clause jurisprudence; and whether the concept of "regulatory givings" is consistent with the purpose and function of the Takings Clause. More information is available at this link.

$9,500 is also the cost of almost a hundred eulogies on a 6-hour turnaround. Just in case you were wondering (see post directly below).