Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

I got a reader response to my post from Monday about how law school sometimes skips over the most interesting parts of some of these subjects we take, that I thought was worth sharing:

I have found myself frustrated time and time again in law school when we focus exclusively on the law and skirt the more interesting policy issues. It has gotten to the point that I wonder what the hell I am doing in law school.

I came to law school with the express purpose of learning as much as possible about health law and related issues. While the law is boring I think (or hope) that it will ultimately provide avenues for changing the national health care policy in this country. Perhaps this is too optimistic.

Ultimately I think the more interesting issues are related to policy, but legal education does not want to address these issues. I find this incredibly odd because every law will affect policy goals in some manner. Last semester I became incredibly frustrated at the myopia of legal education. While we certainly cannot fault law school for focusing on the law, we can concurrently push for greater inclusion of related issues. It is strange to me that so many of the great minds in law school are content with the shallowness of our education.

Thought that was really well-said, better than I said it, and so I figured I'd share it.