Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Slate has an article about Dunkin' Donuts and how it's trying to capture the middle market and not just rolling over for Starbucks to take over. It's an interesting read. The article's basically saying that Dunkin' Donuts' biggest problem is the atmosphere in its stores. They aren't places people can linger, they don't feel like Starbucks, they're too magenta. I suppose it has to be the atmosphere more than the products themselves, because it seems like Dunkin' Donuts offers pretty much the entire coffee side of Starbucks' menus, but then also adds donuts, bagels, and breakfast sandwiches, in comparison with the baked goods Starbucks has that I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone eat. Then again, I don't go to Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts very often at all, so what do I know?