Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Friday, April 22, 2005

1. Happy Passover

2. I was trying to explain to a friend what is kosher for passover and what isn't. I failed.

3. But I found a really funny website while trying. This site lists products that are and aren't safe for passover, which doesn't sound funny, but the level of detail makes it kind of hilarious. I don't mean to sound dismissive, because I know some people really care about this stuff. But it's so exacting, I just thought it was funny. Here are some excerpts:

Some [] hand matzos from our bakery have been discovered to contain white specks of flour. Those matzos with white specks should not be used on pesach[Pesach = Passover]. Product can be returned to point of purchase for a full refund.

Lactaid Milk must be purchased before Pesach. Lactaid drops, if available, must also be purchased and added to the milk before Pesach. Lactaid pills contain chometz [non-Passover-safe stuff] and do NOT fall into the category of pill medication. They may not be used on Pesach. If an individual who is lactose intolerant must drink milk or consume other dairy products on Pesach, an Orthodox Rabbi should be consulted.

Please note that there are some flavors of Tums that have real chometz while others are safe.

Crest toothpaste is no longer recommended for Passover.