Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Mike at Wings and Vodka tosses a prompt for a post over my way. Mike's a funny guy, despite being editor-in-chief of the University of Texas Law Review, so I guess I'll play. "Five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can’t really understand the fuss over."

Let's see:

1. 24. I've seen a couple of episodes. It wasn't terrible, but, I don't know, there's too much action. What a ridiculous complaint, I know. It just didn't grab me. I couldn't get myself to care about what happened to Kiefer Sutherland. All I could think about was how he's really aged in just 3 days since the show started. And doesn't he ever sleep? I want some irrelevant cable channel with 24 hours to waste to put on the anti-24. Just a really boring day. Maybe some guy with allergies who goes shopping for socks. I don't know. Conan O'Brien did a spoof the first season of 24 that was 24 seconds, one second each night. The three seconds I saw were funny. Maybe I should give 24 another chance. At least three people whose opinions on this stuff I trust really like this. Maybe next week. Unless I forget.

2. Anna's Taqueria. This is irrelevant for anyone who doesn't live here, but I figure I can waste at least one of the five. People say Anna's is so much better than Boca Grande and I just don't see it. I mean, I think Felipe's is much better than both of them, and it's not even close. But I just don't get the Anna's thing. It's further away, and I can't really tell the difference. I think maybe I'm just not that into burritos. They're not that interesting. It's just a whole bunch of bulk smushed together. Felipe's is cool because there's some more interesting stuff going on inside the burrito, more cheese, a little less dense with the rice and beans, and, surprisingly, the roasted vegetable burrito is really awesome, and doesn't taste like you're killing yourself like the other ones do. A couple of my friends told me a couple of weeks ago that you can ask them to grill the burrito, and that makes it even better. I didn't really think it would make a huge difference, but I tried it last time, and, wow, it's really quite amazing. The tortilla gets this nice buttery crispness and the flavors all meld a little bit inside, and, really, it's a whole different experience. Unreal. Transcended the genre. In a way that Anna's and Boca just don't. Oh well.

3. Disingenuously inflating the scores on course evaluations to make them completely worthless.

Come on. I'm glad you think the professor is nice and you don't want to hurt his feelings, but that doesn't mean you should be giving 4's and 5's when the class deserves 1's and 2's. If you can't bring yourself to go more than half the time, and when you're there you feel like electrocuting yourself in the laptop outlets just to break up the monotony, it's just not a good class. I'm sorry. And it doesn't help anyone to lie about it. Not the professor, who maybe, just maybe, would want to try and improve if he knew he was a terrible teacher. Not the students picking for next year. And not the school, which ought to know that two-thirds of the classes here are pretty horrid compared to what they should be. Save the 4's and 5's for classes that are awesome, and use the 1's and 2's please. When everything averages a 4, it's meaningless. And use the comment spaces on the back! How else can they find out there's real room for improvement here? And, yeah, part of the problem is that the evaluation forms aren't asking smart questions. But even understanding that, let's stop the grade inflation. For the sake of those yet to come.

4. iPods. I just can't really get into listening to music in my ears while I go about my day. I understand the appeal, especially at the gym, but I just don't feel the need. Then again, more and more I've been using my cell phone while walking back from somewhere, and it's not like that's any better. So I don't really have standing to complain. But sometimes I just like to think while I'm walking somewhere, and don't really feel the urge to distract myself with music. Then again, I'm listening to music right now while writing this post. I don't know, I'm just not really digging the iPod thing. I have no good reasons at all, and if I can get one free with my Lexis points I'm going to anyway, so then I'll really have no standing to complain. But whatever.

5. Statutory rape. It's really got to stop, I mean it.