Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Saturday, April 23, 2005

New York Times Magazine piece by Michael Lewis sort of following up on his book "Moneyball" about baseball and the Oakland A's and Billy Beane. The article is about two young ballplayers, Steve Stanley and Mark Teahen (Stanley's an A's minor leaguer and Teahen is the Royals' rookie third baseman, on the disabled list right now). Lewis is such a good writer I'll read anything he writes... but baseball stuff just makes it even better.

Other interesting stuff in Times Magazine this week. An article about how TV can make people smarter, with some stuff about the show '24' and how cognitively demanding it is to watch it:

The dialogue on shows like "The West Wing" and "E.R.," on the other hand, doesn't talk down to its audiences. It rushes by, the words accelerating in sync with the high-speed tracking shots that glide through the corridors and operating rooms. The characters talk faster in these shows, but the truly remarkable thing about the dialogue is not purely a matter of speed; it's the willingness to immerse the audience in information that most viewers won't understand.
Cool article. And at the end I realized that the author's upcoming book keeps coming up on my Amazon recommendations. Neat.

Coming tomorrow: this week's issue of the Harvard Law School paper is the last one of the year, meaning I get to write one more newspaper column before I graduate. Hopefully, I'll find a way to tie three years of law school and say something profound. I'll post whatever failed attempts I come up with on here tomorrow, as I try and write them. :) And hopefully they'll get some creative juices flowing toward some sort of law school wrap-up series of posts that will be of some value to someone, and of some interest for me to write. Could be cool to start thinking about how this all comes together in the end, and what I've learned, and what I wish I'd done differently....