Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Wrapping up Chicago stuff.

The baseball game yesterday at U.S. Cellular Field was fun. I don't know that I've ever been to Opening Day before. The game was really quick -- 1 hour, 51 minutes. 1-0 White Sox. Real quick.

One bizarre thing:

On the way out, we passed a man and his wife, *changing their baby's diaper in the middle of the stadium concourse, ON THE GROUND, as everyone was leaving.* I'm not sure why they thought this was a good idea. (1) The concourse is filthy (they did put a towel under the baby, but still!), and (2) There were hordes of people streaming out of the ballpark, and they were totally blocking traffic and putting their baby in real danger of being kicked in the head by accident, and (3) Isn't this why we have bathrooms? Bizarre.

One not-really-that-bizarre thing:

On the subway, there was a woman with a kitten inside a knitting bag. Kind of cute.

In the airport yesterday, one marginally dumb thing:

I was getting food, and ended up getting a salad from a vendor whose sign said, "Chicago's Famous Flatbread Salads." This was a normal salad, accompanied by a very normal piece of flatbread. If this is famous, it shouldn't be. In fact, if anyone has ever heard of the famous flatbread salad, e-mail me, because I don't believe this is actually famous.

And a couple of random music recommendations courtesy of some stuff I listened to at a Tower Records kiosk while I was away:

Aqualung. Cool stuff. I especially like the song, "Brighter Than Sunshine," of what I've listened to so far. It's Coldplay-esque, but something really compelling going on with it. It's good. Also, Amos Lee has some pretty cool stuff.

Overall -- Chicago didn't really blow me away. It's kind of lacking in charm. In uniqueness. So many chain stores and restaurants. Nothing really special that I saw. I mean, I'm sure there are tons of cool areas I didn't go to, and tons of cool stuff I didn't see in the areas I did go to, but nothing really made me think, "Oh, wow, Chicago is really neat in a way that other cities aren't," or even in a way that other cities are. It's okay. Maybe just being from New York my perspective is skewed on cities, though. Not that everything's awesome in New York, but just that there's definitely stuff that's unique about New York, and maybe I expect more unqiueness out of cities than it's fair to look for. I don't know. No big deal. I still had fun. :)