Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Monday, May 09, 2005

The Great Vague Experiment 2005

Just had a sudden idea, and I haven't thought this through enough to know if it'll end up being something or nothing or what exactly it is I'm thinking about here. But -- if you're a law student working at a firm this summer, or a young associate somewhere, and want to potentially help me sort through this world this summer, and maybe we emerge at the end with some thoughts about how to make law firms better places to work, or something along those lines -- I feel like it could be cool to set up a Yahoo group just for people to share their experiences and maybe find some sense of how things are better or worse at different places, how experiences compare, and some common ground. I mean, part of this is that for me to write this Anonymous Lawyer book, it would be awesome to feel immersed in this world without being in it every day, even just more for the atmosphere than the stories, so I totally admit that's part of the motive here, but I feel like there's a lot more than that, and really something potentially much cooler and not really for my benefit specifically -- I just feel like there's some room for thinking here, there's some room for brainstorming about institutional change, and putting some smart people together to solve this puzzle of why so many people working at these places don't seem all that happy about it and what some better models might be, or way to fix these models, or maybe even just explain why the current model is actually working quite well. And to get the fresh perspectives of people who are first going into this, and the perspectives of people already there, people who love it, people who don't, I don't know -- I feel like maybe something good and interesting and fun could emerge. So that's my idea. If this sounds like something you want to be a part of -- and clearly this is as obligation-free as it gets; I mean, I don't even know what this even is yet -- go set up an anonymous Yahoo/GMail/Hotmail/whatever account -- and send me your address, and I'll invite you onto a Yahoo group and we'll do something, or some of us will do something and you can just be a lurker and watch. I don't know. I'll see if this gets any response at all, and then we'll see what happens. Cool. I think there's something neat somewhere in here, somewhere.