Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Sunday, June 05, 2005

For the first time in my life...

...I paid people to do my laundry. There's a laundromat around the corner, and they do same-day wash / dry / fold. Easier than spending two hours in the laundromat, and, actually, not all that much more expensive. I was surprised. At school, at $1 to wash and $1 to dry, I'd use three machines (whites / colors / towels+sheets) and spend $6, plus cost of detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheets. For what I guess was a typical-sized load of laundry I'll have, I just paid $10.80. So maybe $4.00 more than it would have cost me to do it, and it took me two minutes to walk there and two minutes to walk back. This is not a terrible economic decision.

And it's really cool, because they folded my clothes a lot better than I fold my clothes, and they even bunched my socks into pairs. I usually just throw my socks into a drawer and hope each morning that I'll be able to somehow piece together a pair that sort of matches. Also, however they folded my t-shirts, a lot more fit in a drawer than when I do it. They folded very well. There's a part of me that feels bad paying for this, because I could easily go do my own laundry. But it's worth $4 to me not to have to do it. So I feel pleased with the purchase. I actually didn't know this service existed, which may mean I'm stupid. I mean, I guess I assumed it did, but I assumed it was more expensive than it is, as compared to doing my laundry myself. But I'd never been to a laundromat before -- at school there were machines in the basement wherever I lived (or, at Princeton, in the next building over sometimes -- that walk outside in the snow with laundry was fun), and at home we had a machine, and when I worked before law school there was a washer/dryer in my apartment. So this is all new to me. And pretty painless, for laundry.

Wow, two paragraphs on laundry. Something please happen to me so I can write about it.

Oh, I saw the movie Palindromes yesterday. It was really quite terrible. Don't see it if you have a choice.