Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Fun with Lexis: Baseball Edition

Buddy Bell was just named the new manager of the Kansas City Royals. The Royals are pretty bad. They're really bad. But Bell is used to that. He managed the Tigers and the Rockies, who were pretty bad. I wondered if I'd find anything interesting if I did a Lexis search for some stuff about Bell's history that might shed light on how he'll do in Kansas City.

1. From October '04, when he was a candidate for the Phillies job:

Buddy Bell, who compiled a 345-462 record in managerial stints with some wretched Colorado and Detroit teams, would love to see what he could do with all of the Phillies talent....

"This is a much better team than I've ever had a chance to be around, hopefully," the 53-year-old Bell said. "I learned a lot from my years in Detroit and Colorado. I wouldn't change that for anything.

"But this is different. The expectations here are high. That's probably the most appealing thing for me, the kind of team that they have here. At this point in my life and my career, it would be tough for me to go back to a rebuilding situation, the same situations that we had in Detroit and Colorado.
Uh, that rebuilding situation is exactly what he's going to find in Kansas City. Guess he's tired of being the Indians' bench coach. Oh well.

2. From when he was being considered for the White Sox job:

Bell, a five-time All-Star and six-time Gold Glove winner at third base, instituted a handful of team rules after Colorado hired him prior to the 2000 season.

He required sport coats and slacks when players traveled, permitted limited facial hair and had players remove jewelry before taking the field. Players were expected to stand on the top step of the dugout for the national anthem.

"We're talking little things that don't take a lot of effort, like showing up on time and everybody stretching together," Bell said at the time. "But it turns into a big thing. It's getting guys to do things within the confines of a team."


3. From his time in Colorado:

"The thing that disappoints me more than anything in life or in business or in baseball or whatever is when there's disloyalty," said Bell, who was in his third season as manager when he was fired by the Rockies.

"I don't like that. I don't understand it. I think that's the thing that bothered me the most. But you also understand that these things happen, and you move on. And I do what I want to do." ....

"I'm anxious to go back," Bell said. "There's so many more good things that happened to me in Colorado than bad. It's unfortunate that the thing that did go bad was something that I probably knew (would).

"I was hoping it wouldn't, but pretty soon after I got there, I pretty well knew it wasn't a good fit."


4. And, finally, the roll call of jobs Bell has been considered for but didn't get:

"Bell, the father Buddy, not the son David, was in Philadelphia Monday to interview for the vacant managerial job with the Phillies. Bell was the fourth of seven confirmed candidates to interview for the job."

"General manager Ken Williams didn't travel to Tucson, Ariz., last week solely to observe the White Sox's instructional-league team. Williams met with former Tigers and Rockies manager Buddy Bell to discuss the Sox's managerial vacancy, a source said Monday."

"There may be but one man in a position of baseball authority who understands there is more to Buddy Bell the manager than his big-league record. Fortunately for Bell, he will be seated across from that man today when he interviews for the Seattle Mariners' managerial position. That man is Pat Gillick, the Mariners' general manager, who has been heading the final round of interviews to succeed Lou Piniella, who recently bolted for Tampa Bay."

"The Rangers have been busy of late linking their future to the past, adding former stars Jim Sundberg and John Wetteland to the instruction staff. Could adding Buddy Bell be the next step? Bell, who played third base for the Rangers from 1979-85 and again in 1989, is one of the names on the club's list of candidates to replace Jerry Narron as manager. Bell said he would welcome the chance to return to the Rangers."

"General Manager John Hart will start seeking permission from teams to talk to managerial candidates this week. He'd like to begin the interview process by the middle of next week to find Mike Hargrove's replacement. One man he won't be talking to is Buddy Bell."

"Buddy Bell must have sat in the visitors' dugout at Comiskey Park this weekend and wondered, "What White Sox weaknesses?" For Bell not only saw a team he might manage, but one he might want to manage. If the White Sox were auditioning for a new manager, they couldn't have picked a better time. They swept a three-game series from the Cleveland Indians, for whom Bell toils as the dugout coach, infield instructor, player policeman and umpire-baiter."

"As expected, Texas asked for and received permission from the Indians yesterday to talk to Buddy Bell about its vacant manager's job. Bell was hired as the Indians' infield and bench coach before last season."