Jeremy's Weblog

I recently graduated from Harvard Law School. This is my weblog. It tries to be funny. E-mail me if you like it. For an index of what's lurking in the archives, sorted by category, click here.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

A reader wrote in regarding my HDTV post. I share just in case anyone is wondering.

Dude, HDTV is the most amazing thing.... I recently replaced my aging bedroom TV and picked up the Syntax Olevia LCD. It's a 26" HDTV LCD unit for something like $625 after rebate. The one thing that sucks right now is that, even on HDTV channels, not everything is broadcast in HDTV. When I first got the Sony, I literally would watch anything in HDTV. ANYTHING. You're right - going back is like, wtf!

What most people don't realize is that it's actually considerably better than DVD quality. Most sports are 720p (720 vertical lines, progressive scan, better for rapidly moving pictures). Many movies and other shows are 1080i (1080 vertical lines, interlaced). By comparison, DVD is 480p or 480i depending on if you have a progressive scan DVD player.

Also, it's worth noting that commercials are generally not in HDTV.


Really Cool Thing I Just Found Out About That I'm Kind Of Embarrassed to Link To: here